I don't know how long this will last, but I once again am hooked up to fiber internet. I was absent so long (using my phone hotspot to save money) that I actually qualified as a new customer, and got a $39 versus $59 a month rate -- at least for a year until it reverts to the old rate.
I have to have wireless internet for at least a few months, even though I really ought not be adding another monthly expense, in order to print the templates and paperwork I need for the state.
I tried to just do it all virtually, but it's a pain to log into the hotspot and update temps and other data every single night.
Having it on paper and then transferring it to an online log once a week or whenever I happen to be on my laptop will be easier. I'd also prefer to just be able to show an inspector a notebook of everything, from temperature and ammonia logs to volunteer education verification, vet protocol, pest control program, etc. rather than have to sit at a laptop and run through different documents with them.
I didn't realize how much I missed MUSIC. Streaming music on a hotspot eats up my monthly data. Once the installation guy (thank you, Calvin!) left, I dug out and dusted off my Alexa devices. It took a bit of swearing to figure out which device was which in the app, but I finally got two working. And I now have classical music throughout the downstairs.
I found my wifi extender, and wonders of wonders, it hooked right up! So I'll keep rummaging for my other Alexa cables (found the devices but who knows where the cables went) and soon the cats will have music again, as well.
How did I live so long in a silent house? No wonder I was dragged out and uncaring. Sure, I had the radio, but the reception is so bad here that I was constantly having to fiddle with it when it turned to static, and when you only have one or two stations, the music selection is nil. What they play is what you get.
I do NOT like that Alexa now obeys commands whether or not you say her name. I'm going to have to squirrel around online to figure out how to turn that off. I hate her more-human voice. I like my robots to sound like robots, or at least the handful of AI voices we are already familiar with. When she started chatting to me with the voice of a friendly female 18-year-old I'm pretty sure I actually rolled my eyes at no one. I've changed the voice to the closest I could get to the old Alexa, but it's still too human. I suppose I'll get used to it in time (unfortunately).
But ah...music. I already feel my blood pressure lowering and quiet joy creeping back in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment