Thursday, August 20, 2026

Speaking of licenses, I decided I'd best get my nuisance wildlife control license again. They sure have a clear and straightforward (mostly) licensing option. A GREAT updated book ($56.00 and arrived within 2 days), and online test (free) and a licensing fee and application ($50 with yearly reporting). If you plan to use anything other than cage traps, you also need fur-trapping training and licensing. If you plan to use firearms you need to take a hunter safety course. In other words, the license is flexible. 



I ordered the book two weeks out (since I've taken the exam twice, maybe three times before over the past 35 years). A lot has changed, so I'm glad I'm taking it. I've probably been giving out inaccurate advice over the last few years. The book is also organized in a (pretty much) clear manner, although the glossery could stand some additions, and an index would be nice.  But I was happily impressed with the changes and the emphasis on humane and ethical handling, and public value for wildlife. It's still going to be an alarming guide to anyone unfamiliar with the difficult side of wildlife control (species that can't be relocated, etc.) but if you want a crash course in what's actually legal in NYS, it's a great place to start.

Just like in 2001, I got a 98. I wish there was a way to find out what question(s) I keep missing! 

Next month I'll send in the application and fee. 

I sure wish the rescue license was this straightforward, and boy, a similar 400 plus page guide sure would be nice! Maybe down the road...

Why don't I a get a wildlife rehab license? Well, a NWCO license allows me to rescue animals, but not keep them. A rehab license would allow me to keep them. And I think cats are enough of a responsibility without adding baby squirrels and bunnies to the mix. I did always want to turn this place into a bobcat rehab location, but that's a dream I have to give up. Life is too short.

No comments:

Post a Comment