Friday, June 14, 2024

When life pushes you out of the nest to fly

How many times has life done that to you? Basically pulled the rug out from under you so you're forced to think "Ok, fine. I guess I HAVE to do this, now, instead of thinking about it, obsessing over it, but not doing much of anything on my own."

It could be due to work changes, relationship changes, health changes ... anything. Sometimes it's a traumatic 'rock your emotional world' push (and I'd like to point out -- my current 'nest push' isn't that, so if you were thinking of firing off an 'R U OK' text...I'm OK).

Sometimes it's just an "Oh shit, gotta flap these wings or I'm gonna hit the ground HARD!"

I be a flappin'

I work for a lovely digital marketing business that was recently sold and has had to do some restructuring to streamline their bottom line, which mean this month I became a contractor, rather than an employee.

That means both LESS freedom (gotta come up with funds for my own health insurance instead of using a stipend through work, and gotta pay my own taxes, while making a bit less than I was before when taxes and fees were covered). And MORE freedom (no longer have to sit behind a computer from 8am to 5pm and can conceiveably work for other organizations if I'm not overtly competing with any of the contracts I should hold).

At the same time, at a point in my life where I was planning to transfer my cat-love energy from hands-on rescue to helping other rescues...I stopped for a little yellow kitten in the road, pulled into a nearby driveway, and encountered a literal swarm of skinny, unfixed cats and kittens, and people nice enough that you really can't just say "Sorry!" and drive away, no matter how limited your resources are.

(Plus, catch my undertone of simmering anger against the national push toward 'community sheltering' which means folks like this get no help unless some unwitting cat lover pulls into their driveway and non-sheltering organizations step forward with reduced-cost or free spay/neuter)

And because these approximately 30 cats and kittens are underweight, have fleas, and some have an upper respiratory infection, I've had to open up the barn area to house them - an area that hasn't been used in at least 5 years.

So:

  • At 61 yoa, I'm launching a new digital marketing business - something that was never on my radar
  • I've suddenly got to get along on $21K a year instead of $42K after paying 15% self-employment taxes and $400/mo health insurance, at least until I find more work.
  • After retiring the barn, I'm opening it again, at least so it can host cats for this project, and so it's ready for future unexpected emergencies (and looks good for a future sale of the property)
  • After dragging my feet on launching a digital marketing strategy for my own work (because I had been spending so much time on others') I don't have a choice.
Honestly, this could be a good thing, although I'm glad it's summer so I can eat out of my garden while I get my feet under me before winter.

Gotta FLY!

3 comments:

  1. OMG. I thought the post would just be about how young birds have an unceremonious start to adulting. Community sheltering? Guess I don't know that phrase. Maybe its like here, where the huge rich shelters don't help really at all, make up excuses why they don't need to (my favorite, from the biggest loudest shelters leader "we don't have a cat overpopulation problem here") and when they do they get thousands in donations while the little groups are the ones grabbing dying kittens and getting cats fixed on bare bones budgets out of sight out of mind of the loudmouth rich segment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You about summed it up for me. I put some explanation and a link in another comment, below. There are far too many senior (and younger) people footing the bill and the good reputation for 'no kill' shelters who are, more and more, turning cats away. I had so much hope six or so years ago when the message was all "more spay/neuter! Better portal cages and community rooms for cats!" But now that the easy grants are gone and no kill hasn't materialized, leaders are looking for ways to make reduced intake look great on paper, so donations keep rolling in to fill the gap, and smaller shelters, assuming there is real science behind it, follow in their wake.

      Delete
  2. Here's an example of community sheltering. BTW I am NOT sharing this to bash this shelter. Shelter's are private organizations and can make their own policies within their ability to provide care. And some shelters (like this one) are dog-only. But this type of program is being promoted (by other national organizations) as the best way for shelters to handle cats. No intake at all: https://www.fresnohumane.org/i-found-kittens-what-do-i-do Which would all be well and good if people had money for KMR, good quality cat food for the mom cat, a way to safely manage fleas and flies, a quick way to get them fixed when they are 3lbs (assuming they are healthy) and a good way to find them homes. But (as you already know) most do not.

    ReplyDelete