Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fern's kittens

I finally took a photo of the kittens:



Their eyes were closed when they arrived, however they were big enough that they should have been opened, so I gently soaked them open. Pus. Yick. Lots of it. I cannot begin to tell you how disgusting it is to finally crack open an eyelid and have pus start rolling out. They've been getting eye ointment. The first day was pretty nasty. They would keep sealing closed and every time I soaked them open, there was more pus. Within 24 hours they had pretty much cleared up. You can see there are still issues, but they look so much better.

They were both eating very well, but one kitten has a stuffed up nose that doesn't seem to be getting better. He started to get a tiny bit snotty and couldn't breathe while sucking on the bottle, so I've started them both on a teeny bit of antibiotic (because of course, it's Saturday, and the veterinarians are all closed) in their milk, and the stuffed up kitten just chews the KMR milk out of the nipple with his mouth open. I expect there will be quite a bit of improvement by the end of tomorrow and he'll be back to sucking normally

I did take them into Fern. However she only wanted to nurse them, not wash them, so I took them back again. She has no milk to feed them. She also kept rolling over on them in her enthusiasm to cuddle.

I was in the closet and found a clean Hammermill Paper box, which made me laugh. I have no idea where it came from. They are almost too big for it, but they'll stay it in tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment